Thursday, October 30, 2008

Making the best use of my time

Fall break was a busy but at the same time pretty relaxing. I was able to finally sit down without a worry of course work and look at careers and employers more carefully. One of the main things I used break for was scheduling interviews. I was able to complete a half day interview at the beginning of break and also at the end of break for two separate companies. Both interviews went very well but the second one really caught my attention as somewhere I could see myself working.

Each of those interviews last about a half a day. The first company I met with 4 individuals that each had about an hour with me. There was a good mix of behavioral and technical questions and there was an opportunity to learn about the company throughout. The second company I met with 7 people that day. Each person had about 30 minutes and all made great use of the time trying to get important information about my background and more importantly what I want to see myself doing. I was happy with my performance in each of the interviews and was given dates on when I should be hearing back from each place.

Another great part about break was being able to go home. This really gave me an opportunity to talk with my family about my career outlook and about the worries I may have during the process. It was good a reminder for me that not every position is for everyone. In the past week or so many of my friends and classmates have been receiving there very nice offers from big companies which can become slightly frustrating to someone who is still up in the air about what they plan to do. I really just need to focus on myself and look for a job that I want to do, will be able to contribute a lot to, and hopefully that I will get a lot out of. Focusing on factors like this rather than an offer from a company that would be impressive to my peers is really important for me :)

As B term begins I have 1 or 2 more companies that I am interviewing with wrapping up the month of interviewing. Soon I will be hearing back from the companies that I met with and hopefully sometime this winter season I will be making a decision on where I will be once I graduate!

No comments: